History of Our Community & School
The village and townlands of Shanballymore cover around 3.865 acres set in an area full of natural beauty, surrounded and sheltered by the mountain ranges of Ballyhoura, Galtee and the Nagles. With its fertile soil and temperate climate. it has been a place much sought after for human settlement, and as a consequence. has had a varied and unique history.
Life in Shanballymore followed the ebb and flow of historical events of the time. the famine took its toll and evidence of emigration has been charted by Jean Fitzgerald Andrews in her article entitled ’emigrants Story’ in the 1988 Mallow Field Club Journal. The Civil War also touched the area and various incidents occurred such as the burning of Bally-waiter House, owned by the Welstead family. Throughout the years Shanballymore village supplied most of its own needs with a variety of shops, a post office and public houses. Essential skills were provided by the local tailor, shoe-maker and blacksmith.
The importance of education is evident from the establishment of various schools ranging from the Hedge Schools to the stone built National School completed in 1843. This school was incorporated in the new school complex in 1985. The Catholic Church which stood in the centre of the village was erected approximately 1810-1811 and was replaced by the present church – built of beautifully cut limestone – situated on and elevated site overlooking the village. The foundation stone was laid in 1932 by Bishop J Roche of Cloyne and dedicated to Christ the King. Although Templeroan has been retained as the name of the Church of Ireland Parish for the area, in recent times the village name of Shanballymore, through general usage, has emerged as the third name to relate to the area which includes the townlands and is the name of the Roman Catholic Parish.
The siting of a local creamery at Ballinamona, beside Nellies Bar formerly a Barracks – in 1929 reflected the importance of Agriculture in the locality and still remain focal points in rural community life today. The excellence of many local farmers has resulted in several prestigious awards being presented within Shanballymore in recent years. Employment was provided for in the past by local flour mills, the largest being at Dannanstown, where later a Fruit Cannery. established by Brigadier and Mrs Elliot in 1948, flourished for twenty five years.
A Vibrant interest in sports has always been an integral part of community activity in Shanballymore as shown by the old handball court and the tradition of various clubs in evidence over the years. Indeed, the strong membership of the Gaelic Athletic Association goes back to its foundation in 1884, producing many local heroes of the hurling and football fields.
Shanballymore School History
Research shows that the first school in the area were “The Hedge Schools’ records from 1826 show where James Riall was master to either 122 or 100 pupils, in a stone and thatched house. The old school opened in 1843. Inspectors report for the ‘old school’ make the following notes:
• Built on chapel grounds but some distance from the chapel
• Built from stone and lime mortar.
• In excellent repair being new.
• 60 ft long, 28 ft broad. 14 ft high.
• Built from private contributions.
• 20 desks, 20 forms in male room and can accommodate 150 children.
• 10 desks and 18 forms in female room and can accommodate 130 children.
• Two teachers, MI. Taylor and Julia Connors. paid £12 per annum
• Books supplied in 1843 for 150 pupils, cost £3
In 1845 there were 202 boys and 135 girls attending Shanballymore school. It now forms part of the current school which was extended and opened in 1985. Many technological improvements have been made such as interactive whiteboards. laptops and tablets. A new resource room was added in 2014 which was a great addition to the school. A major renovation of the playground was carried out in 2016 which involved laying new tarmac, erecting new boundary fence and covering the junior yard with a soft play surface.
The school has changed and evolved to meet the needs of the children attending over the decades. The school remains a vital part of the local community and the community has always supported the school whenever it was needed.
We look forward to a long and happy future in the school educating the boys and girls of the locality for many years to come.